Saturday, January 3, 2009

Came a Hot Wednesday

The parameters of life continue to shrink. Pain and fatigue will do that.
Everything that is extraneous has been culled in the name of focus.
Wednesday was a great day. Didn't get on the bike until 10am, by which time it was getting uncomfortable hot... my legs were tired from Sunday, so I was falling behind at every mark...but I made the Pukekawa school with two swigs of water left so for the first time I carried on. Made Mercer down on time but in resonable shape. On the way home had a slight tail wind...so, tanked up on sugar from the Pepsi, I started to stomp. Managed 20 mph for the 30 miles back home, and ended up 15 minutes quicker than Sunday.
Thursday night, midnight, couldn't find my cell. Rang the number, couldn't hear it. Took the phone to the front door, pressed redial, then scuttled down to the wagon to see if it was there. Couldn't find it.
Went to bed. In the morning reached over, and there was the cell...brain had turned to mush with fatigue and I wonder who I was ringing at midnight.
Friday night I went to the pools, then got some groceries, and then called into see some friends who were borrowing when they should have been repaying. I took a couple of bottles of wine, which he gulped and swilled without tasting and then emptied into the toilet at 2am. Financial pressure will do that.
Mike got me out the door this morning, which I'm not sure that I could have done on my own.
The humidity was 100%, my legs were concrete, and I had to keep leaning forward so that my momentum would continue in a forward direction. I was never so thankful to stop, my legs were chaffed raw, and Mike was appallingly cheerful at my discomfort.
I know this pain will pass, It is merely willpower trying to overcome the preservation of status quo...but living through it is a trial.

No comments: