Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lettuce, forkhoists and brand new shoes.

Coffee and Baileys is a great way to finish the day...well the upright part of it anyway. I read where the Baileys company uses the milk from 40,000 cows to make their liquor. That's a lot of cows, and that's 200,000 gallons of milk a day that they make into their fine product..
The days are growing shorter and colder, and for the first time in my life I find that I am grieving the loss of summer.
The recession is treating me well though, I am having to take on more workers, and the days are filled with work. The workers are all Tongan, courtesy of 'free firty ona pus'.. I came back to the factory this afternoon to find my forkhoist in peices on the floor and a Tongan, who I have never seen before, polishing its innards...they all have varying degrees of ignorance of the mother tongue, but they toil with a will, and they are thankful to be employed in their new country. I am equally as thankful to have them here.
My kid came over tonight, we piled our plates with whole leaves of lettuce, halved tomatoes, boiled eggs, big chunks of colby cheese, big cold crisp carrots that snapped with a spit of juice when you bit into them, tart green olives (although the kid doesn't like these) savory sausages fried till they split open...it was a feast fit for a king...she's having a growth spurt, so is hungry as a horse all the day.
The share market coughed me up 12k of profit the other day, the same day as I got a five page letter from the IRD....the auditor, he sounded a delightful little chap, and I can barely wait for him to violate my privacy...actually I shouldn't really be too antsy, it has been 20 years since they last paid me a visit.
I took my god kid out this afternoon and bought her some new running shoes, bought myself some too. After thrashing me on Saturday she said in a quiet voice "my feet are a bit sore". She had blisters covering half the balls of both her feet. Second hand shoes that are two sizes too big will do that to you....Tough kid..Lord help me this Saturday.

No comments: